How to be sustainable in your workplace
With Covid-19 sadly locking down the nation and having a negative impact on quite a lot of the world, it has given the environment some time to heal.
Pre Covid there was lots of worry about how the world was to deal with a global crisis, but with lockdown meaning less pollution, less traffic, less rubbish, less everything – nature has had some time to recover. With this improvement, we thought we’d give you some help on keeping the world healthy and how to be sustainable in your job.
1) Awareness – Be aware of what you’re using. If you’ve left a room, do the lights need to be on? Do certain machines need to run?
2) Power saving – Screen savers use a lot of power – something so small and innocent uses lots of power. Turn it off, let your screen go blank rather than putting up a screensaver.
3) Re-usable Cups – Invest in a re-usable water bottle and coffee cup so if you go to a coffee shop, you can take them with you for a refill!
4) Re-usable Tupperware – As with the point above, take either some reusable Tupperware or take your own plate, bowl and cutlery into the office so you can use and wash up rather than buying food and eating out of boxes!
5) Print Mindfully – When you go to press the print button just ask yourself, do you really need this bit of paper to go from your computer screen to your desk. Will it just sit there and be used as a coaster or will it have a use? Save the ink, save the paper and save the trees. (also, it’ll save you money!)
6) Go Paperless – Can your policies, projects and deadlines be run on a computer rather than printed and laminated? Can you investigate free platforms to use for your to-do list?
7) Create a giveaway/free zone – Does anyone have anything laying around the house they no longer need or want and may be of benefit to someone else? Free up a section of the office and turn it into a giveaway corner. Any gifts from clients can also be shared through the corner!
There are so many more ways to go green and become more sustainable. You can do this at home and at work and continue to help our planet.
Just look into different ways of being green and give yourself a pat on the back for making positive steps to help the world. Head to www.myvirtualself.com for more information.